Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Ant's Eye View

We appreciate creative camera work, especially in a market where there is seemingly so little of it. And no photographers seem to work harder at giving viewers interesting shots than those at KM3.

However, too much of a good thing can be, well, too much of a good thing. Several times in the past week, the station has run stories featuring shots from ground-level looking up at the subject. It was Monday's story by Kathy Sarantos-Niver on a small town putting up dozens flags for the Fourth of July that pushed us over the edge.

Just about every shot in that story was from ground-level, and it was disorienting. By the time it was over, all we could think about was David Letterman's old NBC bits about life as seen by his dog, Bob.

2 comments:

harryflansburg said...

Hey, what's up guys? My name is Harry and I'm the one who shot the story about the flags at Ashland Cemetary with Niver. You're right, I did go a little overboard with the "low angles" but it was fun shooting the story that way. First of all, those flag poles are like.....25 feet high, so you kind of have to shoot up. And secondly, my tripod only goes up so far. Also, what might have seemed a little disorienting was that I used a wide angle lens in that piece. I used it a frickin' ton. Maybe too much, but with all that blue sky and sunshine, I thought the colors poppin' out of "Old Glory" looked bad ass. I guess you could say I was feeling patriotic, it was the Fourth and all. But yeah, I did pound out that low angle a lot. I'll keep it in check. During the interviews with the war veterans, I framed two of the guys "straight on" and the third I shot "very" low angle. I was trying to mix it up a little, you know, not every interview looking totally generic and trying to get the flags behind him. He is a WWII vet who loves and fought for his country so I felt obligated to shoot him low giving him a look of pride. Anyway, thanks for the input, it's appreciated........photojournalism is a learning process and not a perfect art form. later, harry

Reporter said...

I used to work with Harry and I have to say, he's one of the most talented photojournalists we reporters ever come across. He has a way of making a so-so story spectacular, not only with his video, but with his editing. I didn't see the story in question, as I'm now living in San Diego. But I just wanted to send well-deserved props out to Harry, in general, for his creative thinking, and his wonderful story-telling ability.
Jodi Baker, former KM3 News Reporter

You are visitor number